Fiction is filled with food so I thought a little meme for food in our favourite books will be nice idea. I’ll be trolling through my novels and finding delectable delights to share with you. Feel free to use the meme, just post an excerpt relevant to the dish, find a recipe and post that too. And reblog and link to your hearts content. 🙂
“Her (Ms. Custer’s) smile, like the soft pat on my shoulder, was gentle and sweet and enduring. “Did it go well today?” She reached out and gently touched my bandage.
Ms. Custer had intended to come to the funeral but I’d asked her to stay home. Didn’t want the kids exposed to more grief. And my sorrow craved solitude. I wasn’t sure why, but I knew I’d shatter into a million shards of grief if my little family were with me.
I just nodded. No sense in telling her about Cherise and her malicious machinations. Ms. Custer’s face tightened but she let it be.
Tender garlic and herb-roasted chicken and butter-glazed carrots made it safely to the table. I went through the motions, pretending to eat under the stern supervision of my foster mother. Washing up was easier to do and I escaped the kitchen, both dishes and myself in one piece.
A wide veranda hugged the front half of the house, dark and private, especially in the evenings. I surrendered to its comforting embrace. Enjoyed the thrill of having the porch swing to myself, reveled in the enveloping dark night and the sweet scent of Ms. Custer’s pink climbing roses. I sat alone, enclosed in my little private world, with just the crickets and cicadas to vie for my attention.”
DEAD RADIANCE (Valkyrie #1) Chapter 4
Garlic-Herb Roasted Chicken Recipe
Garlic-Herb Roasted Chicken Recipe photo by Taste of Home
- 1 roasting chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons each minced fresh parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 1 large whole garlic bulb
- 1 sprig each fresh parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme
- With fingers, carefully loosen skin around the chicken breast, leg and thigh. Combine minced parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper; rub half under skin. Place sliced garlic cloves under skin. Squeeze half of the lemon into the cavity and place the squeezed half in the cavity.
- Remove papery outer skin from whole garlic bulb (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulb. Place garlic bulb and herb sprigs in the cavity. Skewer chicken openings; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string.
- Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Squeeze the remaining lemon half over chicken; rub remaining herb mixture over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until chicken juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180° (cover loosely with foil if browning too quickly). Baste with pan drippings if desired.
- Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Remove and discard skin, garlic, lemon and herbs from cavity before carving. Yield: 8 servings.