The Creation Myth
Before the dawn of time and before the world was created there was a place called Nilfheim. Niflheim was the darkest and coldest region, and consisted of ice, frost and fog. Niflheim was in the northern region of Ginunngagap. To the south of Ginunngagap there were a place calledMuspelheim it was the land of fire. In Muspelheim there was a giant named Surt, he was the ruler of the land. Muspelheim was the home of the fire demons and fire giants. Between Niflheim and Muspelheim there was a great void, this vast emptiness was called Ginnungagap. Read More
The Nine Realms
In Norse mythology, there were nine worlds, and these were broken into three levels.
- In the first level was Asgard, the home of the Aesir.
- Vanaheim, the home of the Vanir.
- Alfheim, the home of the Light Elves.
- In the middle was Midgard “Middle Earth”, the home of the Humans. Midgard was connected to Asgard by Bifrost “The Rainbow Bridge”
- Jotunheim, the home of the Giants.
- Svartalfheim, the home of the Dark Elves.
- Nidavellir, the home of the Dwarfs.Niflheim was to the north, inside somewhere under the ground were Helheim home of the dead.
- Muspelheim was to the south, it was the home of the fire Giants and Demons.
Marvels version of Loki
I found this gorgeous wallpaper for Loki- I think many people define this particular Norse God more from the recent Thor and Avengers movies – here is a peek into a non-Marvel past for the Trickster God
Old One Eye- Odin, the All-father